This is my son’s blog, but I thought I would write a bit about his site and how it’s going for him.
- A kid’s live is filled with constant activity, so he’s having a hard time writing articles when there is so much to do all the time!
- Kids in school are burnt out by the time the get out of school, and finish homework. It’s time to be a kid, not continue to do more writing (which is a lot like schoolwork)…
- Blogging is for fun, not for money or other reasons at his age, so when there are even more fun things to do, this site takes a backseat.
- At his age, there is no money involved so not much of a reasons for his dad (me) to push him in doing this either.
- We’re scaling back the size of the post to less than 200 words. To expect an eleven year old athletic boy to type 200 words is unrealistic.
So I explained why the slowdown, but what is a boy to do?
- Reduce his word count to whatever feels comfortable. If it’s 100 word, or even 50 words, so be it.
- Exclude less pictures, that takes time!
- Include more per-recorded videos of the Stickman show series. There are plenty more episodes to choose from!
- Include posts from friends and family (other than just dad)!
- Include guest posts or posts from kids from school that might be interested or neighborhood kids.
And of course more will come to mind later. The key is to keep going! Blogging can be a very rewarding experience if kids stick to it. Not just in self-expression, but also cognitive development!
Good luck ETZ!